Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Julius Caesar Essay

Using Blogger as a method of expressing our thoughts and knowledge was a creative way to learn about Julius Caesar with the original play book. In the reading groups, with the different types of plays and books, I found it easier to follow along the play, even though Shakespeare is known to be complicated and confusing for most. With this method, we could use the graphics to understand what characters looked like, what they were saying, and what the mood or tone was like based on the background. With the original play as well, it was more detailed and offered summaries of the act if I was unsure of an event that happened. With both these types, I found it very effective to understand the feelings, events and ideas that were expressed in Julius Caesar.

Some ideas that could have improved my learning was more group particpation. It would be easier to assign the roles this way, and then making it easier to discuss with the group. Although, this suggestion is not necessarily anyones fault, but it would help significantly. Another suggestion to improve my learning would be if the class all read the same Shakespearean play so we could discuss in class any misunderstandings or confusion in the play. These were the only drawbacks from using this technique, so I would suggest to continue using this method.

Overall, the approach we used was mostly successful. I felt I had a good understanding of the play because we read scripts, and had pictures to refer to for clarification. Discussion within the groups about what happened in the act was a productive way to get feedback from classmates on how they felt about a specific act or event that took place. Also, knowing their thoughts would make me reconsider how I felt if they made a good point. For example, a classmate made me realize Mark Antony was a very intelligent character because of his actions towards the conspirators and Romans. Doing the personal blog posts was a fun way of taking the important events and making them creative in our own way but still using the tone of the original character. I am glad we used the graphic novel and the original play in reading groups to study Julius Caesar.

No comments:

Post a Comment